What is Mission Year?

Mission Year is a year long urban ministry program focused on Christian service and discipleship. Teams of young adults are placed in areas of need, and help to serve people and create community. Mission Year is committed to Jesus' command to "love God and love people," by placing the needs of our neighbors first and developing committed disciples of Christ with a heart for the poor.

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Becoming > Doing



This past week our City Director challenged our team to shift from doing to becoming. What does that mean? Think of the many people who made the 2015 new years resolution to lose weight. Doing versus becoming is the difference between doing what's necessary to lose a few pounds versus adopting the proper lifestyle to become a healthier person. As you may have witnessed, people who fall under the category of the latter are more likely to keep the weight off...just saying.

A part of what drew me to Mission Year was my heart for social justice and the programs' commitment to social justice. I've come to realize that there's a difference between doing social justice and becoming an advocate for social justice. This season of my life has invited me to become a sincere advocate for social justice. What's the difference? Remember Michael Brown? To do advocacy is to attend the protests, write a blog, and discuss it while it's a hot topic. To become is doing all of that while it's not the hot topic on everyone's Facebook news feed and continuing the conversation in my circle of influence that asks the question, what can I do to prevent a case like Ferguson from happening again? 

In light of a new year, what is this season of your life inviting you to become?

1 comment:

  1. Great words, Arlicia. I feel like this season of life is inviting me to become a learner of the past in order to understand the present -- which means I engage in conversations, ask questions of others, and even change the way in which I share the story of my community. :)

    ReplyDelete